Tuesday 10 March 2009

Guess who's coming to dinner

Our garden in rural Darvel seems to be a haven for all types of wildlife. We've got a regular foxy night-time visitor - nicknamed "Domino", because he's always so well fed (think jazz musicians). The local hedgehog is very unimaginatively called "Spike". We quite often get grey squirrels on the bird-table - always known as "Nemo" or "Mrs Nemo" - our 2 year old insists, despite them not looking anything like clown fish. Once or twice we have seen a pheasant strutting his stuff - he is known as "Tommy" - after Tommy Cooper, who always wore a Fez!

There are plenty of fieldmice running around - too many to name - and a variety of cats. A rat appeared once, but because we don't like them we didn't give him a name, so he's never turned up again...


However, we had a real treat at about 11pm last night - one of our security lights came on, to reveal a badger snuffling about in our back yard. I've never seen a real live one before, only roadkill, so it was a real thrill. S/he only stayed for about 20 seconds before disappearing through the gate into next door's garden, leaving Barbara & myself saying to each other "Did we really just see that!?" Quite what food we put out for him (or her) I've no idea - I think their main food is worms, and I'm not going hunting for those!

Anyway, the badger has been named "40 quid" in the hope that we get return visits. (Yes, I know we have really strange names for our animals. In this case, think the cost of a Black and White TV licence).

Finally in this blog, a big shout out and massive up & nuf respect to my sister Hilary, down in sunny Norwich (or "Strawhead land", as we call it). Now because she's not so young and trendy as me (Quiet at the back! No sniggering!) she won't have an idea what that means. Anyway, with a new wean in the family - Katie Elizabeth, born last week - I think it's important that she tries to keep up with yoof kulture - and I think it's great that someone so young and good looking can admit to being a surrogate grandma. Well, at least I might get a good birthday present from her now!

SK

No comments: