Friday 31 July 2009

My old English teacher passes on...



I read this morning that Stanley Middleton, Booker prize winner in 1974, has died. "Mr Middleton", as we knew him at school, was my English teacher for much of my time at High Pavement Grammar School. I remember him fondly - rather like his books - as quiet, unassuming, but with plenty going on behind the calm exterior. I also remember his enthusiastic playing of the double bass - always with a slightly surprised expression on his face, as if he couldn't quite believe the noise he was making! He was a good musician, and I know both my parents spent time with him in various choirs.

Stanley was an inspirational teacher of English, as long as you wanted to listen. We used to ask him what we thought were complicated questions, and then sit back and observe his long-winded thought processes as he worked out answers. I'm sure he knew what we were doing! One I remember well was "Sir, why is there only one Monopolies Commission?"

God bless, Stanley, and thank you.

No comments: